Cheerleading has always been a huge part of my life. I have cheered since I was 6 years old. I did school cheerleading from K-12. 9-12 grade was WPIAL cheerleading which means that it was a sideline and competition team. While I did this, I was also on an allstar team from 9th-12th grade. I cheered for PA Storm Allstars which is a travel competition only team. My allstar team was the best experience of my life. However, as the team got better, even though I was on our level 5 team, our coaches became obsessed with going to Cheerleading Worlds and made me not love the sport anymore despite the insane amount of trophies and jackets I've received from winning National titles. I started coaching as a practicum my freshman year of college. I started developing WPIAL routines for Bishop Canevin High School coaching along side Tiffany O'Shea who has become my mentor. Every year we went to another cheerleading competition, I realized I still loved the sport and I miss it. So I started with the process to make Slippery Rock University Competitive Club Cheerleading. I have had my ups and downs with the process but I would not trade it for the world. Right now, a lot of my physical activity comes back to cheerleading. Gym workouts to improve stunting and tumbling, work outs after practice, practice time, open gyms for both stunting and tumbling, and all of the extra time I spend working on form. Cheerleading always puts me in great physical shape because competition cheerleading is a sport that bands together athletes that love to have a little bit of sparkle and a whole lot of power. I can't cheer forever though. My next blog will explain my future plans.
Comments
Post a Comment